Genre

Genre refers to styles of writing which is dictated by what the content seeks to address, or the person being communicated to, and also the particular way the writer wants to pass the information. The genre takes different forms including letters, poems, and even music. Every genre has its own set of rules that determine how the information will be packaged and presented to the recipients of the information. Genres determine how people read and interpret the information presented. As a rhetoric element, the genre is used in presenting the information in a desirable manner as the creator wishes, while putting into consideration the audience’s receptibility of the information if a particular genre is used.

Throughout the semester the two major genres we focused on were the expository essay and the argumentative essay. Both essays are very uniquely different, and both have different reasons as to why they have their own genre. In an expository essay, the information being presented is completely neutral and unbias, wherein in an argumentative essay, the information being presented is biased. I find it really funny because the essays I wrote for each genre that we studied throughout the semester, although the same information is being presented in both essays they both serve a different purpose and allowed me to think of new things that I didn’t think of when I wrote the 1st paper which was my expository essay.